Wednesday, October 7, 2009

ArtPrize Pictures

I am finally getting around to posting pictures from ArtPrize. I went downtown for the 3rd time tonight, I can't get enough of it. Seriously, if you haven't made it down, try! It's all there until Saturday. There are some things that are amazing and then there are others that make you think, why? Here are just a hint of what all we saw.

This piece is way cooler at night, it changes colors. However, after the wind storm last night many of the pieces blew off, huge bummer!

This is what Jon wants in our backyard now. Does that surprise you? :)

This man was a huge hit. Yes, he is real!

This moose was made entirely with nails

A bedazzled Guitar

This was made out of Army Men

Cool looking metal people

A cool orange sculpture

Art? Really? Someone actually entered these signs as art.
Her quote was something like "I see art as a campaign"

This was really cool, some type of bird made from snowmobile and car parts.

The popular table and chairs.

Nessie, this was one of my top favorites!

Spinning wheel in the fountain in front of the Ford Museum. If you look closely, while it was spinning it looked like horses were running. (in the white part)

A walkway made out of trash, and yes it STUNK!

These were flowers carved out of metal. I believe it said it took this guy 20 hours to make each flower.

This made the top 10 so we thought we would go check it out tonight. At first I thought it was just a picture of waves and thought it was pretty dumb. Well, after looking at it, it's not a picture, the dude actually painted it. It was very sweet!

A bunch of tiles... it looked cooler in person

Another top favorite! These are pictures made completely out of push pins. That's right, every single piece of this art is a push pin. VERY COOL!!!

These bowls were made out of rice from Vietnam.
Not very interesting compared to other art pieces but must have been a lot of work

Okay, this has a story to it. You have to hear it, but you have to call me. I can't post it on here. The title of this "piece" was Random thoughts. There was one random chair in the middle of a ginormous room. There were billions of papers with "random thoughts" that the artist made. That's the reason you have to call me... for some of the thoughts. I will post one example, the one that almost made me pee my pants under my comments section. No Kids Allowed! But I have to share it ;)

Honestly, clothes hanging from a ceiling? We decided that we are entering the competition next year, apparently anything goes?

This roof was made of egg shells, video is demonstrating how he did it.

A room covered it pink frosting! Yum! It smelled delish too :)

Okay, this is not art but an elevator we had to take to see some of the art pieces. I took a picture just in case we died on the way up. It was seriously the creepiest thing ever. Let's just say we took the stairs back down!

The reason we took the elevator - this piece of art was done by a lady in my parents bible study.

A wood house thing, it seemed to be popular so I took a pic :)

Court's ugly face but I loved these chairs. I want them for my house :)

Just thought it was cool

These were kinda cool. They were made out of paper and they moved. As one went up the other went down.

This was like a giant balloon animal. Very cool to see.
Just a painting but I liked it! These poor people don't get much credit with all the other crazy stuff that was entered.
Well that does it with my pictures from the ArtPrize! This was a great thing for Grand Rapids to bring into the area. I have never seen so many people downtown. Even tonight, on a Wednesday night, it was packed! Nice work GR!

3 comments:

Jon and Ash said...

Okay, so here it the "random thought" that had us laughing histarically...

"Sometimes does your ass squeak when you walk?"

Maybe you had to see the entire art piece to think it is funny but I still laugh everytime I look at the picture :)

Kari Lynn said...

LOVE your pictures and that Random thought is hilarious!

Thanks for sharing a little bit of ArtPrize with me - I'm completely bummed I couldn't go see it in person!!

Kari Lynn said...

The third place winner is the dad of one of my summer preschoolers - how cool is that?